Thursday, April 24, 2008

Will work for...

"Single Mom, will work for food and diapers. GOD BLESS"

That's the sign I saw a young girl holding as I drove down the street today. She was in her late teens/early twenties. Shocking I tell ya! In the city I live in you won't see the stereotypical homeless person with a "will work for food" sign, let alone a young girl with a sign like that. My first thought was shock, then sadness. I drove past. I have no cash. I just don't carry it. Then it hit me...DIAPERS. So, like a dummy I cut over into the turning lane, wait for traffic to clear and then bust a u-turn. Traffic was clear. I swear. The light was red. But no, I came inches away from this big silver pick-up truck. Where in the bleep did that come from? Who knows. I waved and mouthed "sorry" 1,000 times to the driver as they just screamed(windows up thank God) and flipped me off. Ahhhh! America. Gotta love it.

I made my way over to the girl and went to talk to her. My first instinct is to hug her. I don't. It would have been difficult with that gigantic cardboard sign anyway. I said hello and asked what size diapers she would like. She already had someone offer diapers so I agreed upon wipes, baby wash and lotion. When I think about it now, I realize that she asked for baby powder and I got lotion. Ugh, dummy me. I hope someone gets her the powder.

I feel for that girl. Help someone in need... karma is real.

No comments: