(Facts and text taken from the book)
- AMBER stands for “America’s Missing: Broadcast Emergency Response” and was created as a legacy to 9-year-old Amber Hagerman, kidnapped while riding her bicycle in Arlington, Texas, and then brutally murdered.
- 76% of abducted children who are murdered are dead within 3 hours of the abduction, 88.5% are dead within 24 hours, and 99% are dead within 7 days.
- 443 children have been reunited with their families because of AMBER Alerts.
- Nearly 100% of cell phones are eligible to receive Wireless AMBER Alerts as text messages.
- 100% of computers can have the AMBER Alert ticker downloaded onto them.
- AMBER Alerts are active in all 50 states.
- Pay attention to AMBER Alert signs on the freeway or on TV.
- Sign-up to receive AMBER Alert text messaging on your cell phone.
- Download the AMBER Alert Ticker onto your computer.
- If you see or receive an AMBER Alert, don’t take it lightly. The perpetrator might be closer than you think.
Protecting children from abduction and locating those who have been abducted is the twofold purpose of AMBER Alerts. They increase the number of people who can help locate an abducted child or deter predators, and they have caused perpetrators to release the abducted child after hearing or seeing the AMBER Alert. Remember, those first three hours are everything to that child and his or her family. Your eyes and action could mean the difference between a life lost and a life saved.
It's a heartbreaking reality. Children go missing. Bad people are out there. Watch your children. Please. I've added the ticker to my blog, and like the EMM book said, it only took a minute to do. I encourage you to do the same.